Sunday, June 26, 2011

LISTENING AND BEING

LB_LB_0050


On 21st June and 24th June, as part of the exhibition Listening and Being, I did a two- and four-hour performance, respectively. as part of that performance I sat, with my ear pressed against the room-sized mirror and listened to myself.

Unlike previous listening projects, where the aim is to focus on the external sound stimuli from the cities - to attend to the environment i am in by observing its sound - the 'sounds' I am listening to are not recordable with a device. They do not reflect the physical nature of a space, but a psychological space - my own.

Because of this, the sounds heard cannot be directly noted, or transcribed, but has to come from a memory recall. Obviously this is not scientifically ideal, but perhaps it reflects how we are influenced by what lingers in our internal dialogue.



21 JUNE

LB_210611


[this is just a short list of what i recall from opening night. it was far more jumbled and eratic than this list suggests]

listening and being

24 JUNE

LB_240611

LB_2406112




listening and being 24th june

*this seems to be an extension of the listening to the country work i'm doing in Western Australia.

1 comment:

  1. I love the; "oh no they don't understand
    It's not my fault you don't understand". It expresses the insecurities we all must face as artists when we finally show our work to the world! That vulnerability... then hopefully the thrill of...
    "Oh, they understand"!

    Jess Millman.

    ReplyDelete